Roux Scholarship 2019: Entries open today as the Roux Family set the recipe challenge
The Roux Family are set to test chefs’ butchering skills in this year’s Roux Scholarship competition as they announce the details of the recipe challenge. Entries open at 2pm today (12th November).
Entrants must be in full-time employment as a chef in the United Kingdom and be aged 22 or above, but
no older than 30 years of age on 1st February 2019. They have until midnight on Thursday 31st January 2019 to submit a recipe to serve four people using:
One short saddle of hogget, weighing between 1.8kg and 2.2kg (bone-in, breast removed, without kidneys) and using four hogget kidneys (whole, suet removed); together served plated with two ‘simple’ or ‘composed’ garnishes/accompaniments. One of them must include potato rösti and the other to be a garnish/accompaniment of your choice. One of these can be served separately if preferred. A sauce must accompany the dish.
- Two and a half hours’ cooking time is allocated at the Regional Final for cooking the dish to the recipe originally submitted. In addition, a dessert to serve four people must be made from a ‘mystery box’ of ingredients given on the day.
- Contestants must include a full and accurate list of quantities and cost of all ingredients used, omitting the short saddle of hogget and the hogget kidneys. The cost of the short saddle of hogget will be of £14.00 per kg and the hogget kidneys £7.00 per kg. The full total costing of the dish, without the short saddle of hogget and the hogget kidneys, should not exceed £12.00 per portion.
- The hogget and kidneys will both be provided by the college should entrants be successful in being selected to compete at the Regional Final.
- Entrants arenot allowed to use or bring any pre-prepared stock or sauce whatsoever for the meat, vegetable or garnish / accompaniment dishes and none will be provided.
- Oneand a maximum of two photographs may accompany your recipe as part of your entry, if you feel these will enhance your entry. This is not obligatory.
- Full details can be found in the rules on the website that competitors must read before entering.
- Full details of the competition, rules and the entry process are available on the websiterouxscholarship.co.uk
Alain Roux said: “Hogget is an interesting ingredient, as tender as lamb but offering a deliciously rich flavour. I am delighted with the challenge we have set this year on so many levels; in particular to test the butchery skills of the chefs, but also to assess their judgement and finesse to ensure the short saddle is cooked preserving the unique flavour and moistness of the cut and also the kidneys. The scope is there to prepare them in a very simple or more sophisticated way”.
Michel Roux Jr said: “Hogget has a wonderful depth of flavour that can be married with myriad spices. The saddle is a prime cut and can be cooked in many different ways, but for me the use of the kidney will be vital.”